July 22, 2009

Certain Postcards

Long before there were certain blogs, there were certain sisters' unrelenting demands for postcards. I tried to send her something whenever I traveled, at least back when she lived at home. Recently she found a handful of them in her bedroom and was gracious enough to let me photograph the fronts and reprint the messages here.

Thanks, Amelia.


SPRING TRAINING UPDATE:
March 10- Red Sox 4, Cards 3

March 11- Cards 13, Dodgers 8
March 12- Blue Jays 7, Reds 2
March 13- Cardinals vs. Mets

13 March 2004
Amelia,

When I saw this postcard, I was reminded of the time you and I were in Hyde Park and we took all those dumb photographs and sold 4 of them to this guy who said he worked for a postcard company, and at the time we thought he was lying, but at the same time we needed the money to buy something that we've since either used up or lost, and at any rate, well, I guess he wasn't lying after all. What can I say? That was a long time ago; I hope our intuition is better now. But that's not important. What's important is: you have to promise NOT TO TELL MOM (or Lilo--I think they're in cahoots), but I wanted you to know that, a few days ago, Jocelyn told me that [more later] Love, Dave

____

21 August 2004
Amelia,

Here we are in beautiful downtown Phoenix. The weather here is amazing! Pete, Emily and I are having a great time, but we can't seem to find the Bellagio anywhere.

Love, Dave

____

13 March 2006

Amelia-

I found the most delightful recipe for Key Lime Pie-- locals call it "Florida's State Pie", but I call it delicious! All you need is: 4 eggs; 1 can sweetened, condensed milk; 1/2 cup lime juice; 6 tbls sugar; and 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. I'm not sure how to cook it, but I'm sure you can find out on the internet or something.

Love, Dave

____

30 June 2009

Greetings from South Dakota! Did you know the state broadcasts a Wi-Fi signal from the tip of Lincoln's nose? It's so powerful it covers all of SD and parts of Wyoming. Why did I waste a stamp to tell you this when I could be emailing you instead? I'll give you one guess.

Love,
Dave

2 comments:

  1. This is really heartwarming. I can't think of a clever way to say it beyond that. You're a good brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your talent at writing postcards--key lime pie being a favorite--now gives me cold feet every time I try to write one. I always feel lame: "San Francisco is great, but it sure is cold! The Asian Art Museum is really interesting. Yesterday I ate a burrito. It was both great and interesting."

    ReplyDelete