September 25, 2006

Blogworthy:

I recently had a fantasy that I was an ad man. I earn immeasurable fame and improve thousands of lives through the creation of a public service announcement warning against the dangers of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. The campaign centers around the slogan "Preggers can't be users."

In my fantasy, I'm pitching the idea to a conference room of stuffed suits when an eager but wet-behind-the-ears intern suggests using "boozers" instead of "users". Calmly but firmly, I explain to him that the alliteration created by "boozers" would make the slogan more difficult to say, which would lessen the campaign's overall impact, which would in turn save fewer children from the sad effects of FAS. I ask him if he's prepared to shoulder that kind of emotional burden so early in his still-promising career, and he tells me that he is not.

No one really appreciates how much work it takes to be a successful fake advertising executive.

No comments:

Post a Comment