July 14, 2006

Boycott Update II

Hummer makes the perfect addition to the list of boycotted products I'd never buy anyway.

Its newest series of ads includes one where an emasculated loser is at the grocery store, buying a shitload of vegetables (probably organic) and a huge thing of tofu. He looks passively at the guy behind him, who's buying charcoal and the biggest rack of ribs I've ever seen in my life. The loser, of course, is embarrassed to be alive. Fortunately, before he can slink back into the narcotic cocoon of his healthy, responsible lifestyle, he happens upon a print Hummer advertisement (inexplicably, this ad is found in the magazine rack at the checkout aisle). Emboldened, the eunuch marches to his shitty yellow hatchback and putt-putts his way to the nearest Hummer dealership. Seconds later, as he drives off in his phat new ride, the slogan arrives on the screen: Restore Your Manhood.

I've whined about these stupid masculinity-based ads in the past, so I'll spare my 3 readers the chore of hearing it again.

What's interesting, though, is the other ad in the series. I've only seen it once, so I'm hazy on the details, but this ad's protagonist is a woman. Something bad or embarrassing happens to her, so she goes to the dealership and buys a new Hummer. The slogan reads "Get Your Girl On".

Apparently one way to reorient yourself with your sexuality is to buy a Hummer, regardless of which sex you belong to. If we're to believe Hummer, purchasing an outrageously expensive (and sometimes illegal) SUV is an appropriate way of embracing both masculinity AND femininity. I can't begin to offer any psychosocial analysis of this idea, so I'll just call it bizarre.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:25 PM

    So I'd just like to add this little wrinkle to the story. My realtor, who is gayer than Gayey McGaysalot, recently went out and purchased an H2 - which is a big, fully loaded Hummer. I'm pretty sure he doesn't eat that vegetable shit, and, while gay, I'm pretty sure he's not "getting his girl on." So where does he fit into all of this? And how come I've gotten no mention in the blog?.....oh yeah, I'm no darkhorse, and I only urinate on buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this article on Slate which seemed relevant: http://www.slate.com/id/2147657/?nav=tap3

    ReplyDelete